Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What I Learned From a Six Year Old

I have been blessed to have my six-year-old grandson visit with me for the month of June. It is a blessing but certainly challenging to continue working my business every day. For one thing I can't concentrate or hear myself think because from the time he wakes up until the time he goes to bed there is constant chatter. Keane talks non-stop and is a thinker and is always expressing his thoughts. He also jumps from one activity to the next.

When I attempt to think it is difficult because of his chatter. I realized that is how I used to be. I had a lot of chatter constantly going on in my mind. Most of it was negative, most of it was disempowering, and most of it was discouraging. Also, because of my "blue" personality I would often jump from activity to activity, from project to project and from mlm company to mlm company. Boy, am I glad I participated in the 30 day mental cleanse which helped me stop all that chatter. Also, reading the Success in 10 Steps ebook stopped the company hopping.

Keane has taught me a lot. From observing him I realize I really do need to become more like a child. He has no problem asking for what he wants. And, if he doesn't get it the first time, he will persist and ask again, and again, and again. As adults we sometimes stop asking for what we want. We often settle for what we get. I know I have been guilty of that. But clearly the bible says "we have not because we ask not."

Keane has taught me how to use my creativity. Since he knows I can sew, he wanted me to dress a teddy bear. He didn't stop asking until I relented. That meant I had to make the bear some clothes -- pants & shirt. When I said I didn't know how he simply said 'yes you do.' And so I did. Two lessons learned: 1) persist until you get what you desire as he did and 2) you really can if you think you can as I did when I started believing I could (provided you have the natural ability). In other words, I have not been blessed to sing. So, no matter how hard I try, I will never be a singer.

One other thing I observed from Keane. He is impatient. He wants every thing now. For instance, he wanted a hot dog so I put water on the stove (I am old school with my hot dogs.) He said, that will take too long. Why can't you put it in the microwave? Is that impatient or what?

I remember when I was like that about building my home business. I was impatient and wanted microwave results. This only caused much frustration. Thank God I started understanding principles like the "slight edge." I also learned how to follow a simple recipe for success that eliminated the frustration and I now enjoy building my home business.

Well, that's all for now. There is too much chatter going on.

Be empowered to prosper!

Irma White

A Mentor with a Servant's Heart

No comments: