Friday, July 11, 2008

Working for Uncle Sam -- Two Choices -- Part 1

Back in the early 70's I started my government career. My decision to work for Uncle Sam was based on two key factors. One was the retirement plan. You see, I knew retiring at the earliest age I would still be young enough to move on and do something else. Thus, I reached that age, retired and have moved on.

Okay, I have a friend I will call Mary. Mary is a couple of years older than me. She started working for Uncle Sam two years before I did. But, after working for the government for approximately three years she decided to quit and go private industry.

Well, last week I saw Mary and she told me if she had stuck with Uncle Sam she would have already been retired for four years. Instead she has three more years to work before she can. By the time she is eligible I will have been retired for four plus years. Her choice to go with her company added seven years to her work life.

Okay, what is my point? Mary and I both decided on career paths. We both did well in our chosen companies. But, because Mary didn't look long-term as far as early retirement eligibility, she is still working a 9 to 5. I am not.

That is also what happens in choosing network marketing companies. Some people don't look at their policies & procedures to know when (and if) they can ever retire. They don't look at the clauses like 'you must have ongoing sales', or 'you must have at least one recruit each month', or 'you must stay on monthly autoship' to be eligible for commission. All of these clauses can legally prevent you from ever retiring from a company. At least with my friend, Mary, she will be eligible at some point.

So, if you are building your network marketing business with the intent to retire when you desire, be sure to read your policies and procedures to make sure you can.

I will share the other factor I considered when choosing my career in my next article.

By the way, reaching a certain age should not be a determining factor in retiring. With enough monthly income, you can retire at any age. If you want to work your way out of a job and retire early, or just want more network marketing insights, click here for a free ebook.

Be empowered to prosper!

Irma White
A Mentor with a servant's heart

No comments: